I think I can safely call myself an air travel expert…okay, that might be stretching it, but let’s just go with it for now. Come this weekend I will have been on 17 flights this year alone. I have flown across the world to China and back. In all these trips I have gathered some of my many tips and tricks to ensure a comfortable and stress free flight…because trust me I am very prone to stress while traveling!
Ten Tips and Tricks for Any Flight1.
1. BRING HEADPHONES: living in Orlando any flight to or from here involves a lot of kids on their way to Disney…which means lots and lots of screaming babies. GOOD headphones are worth in the investment in my mind. I have my eye on a pair of noise-cancelling ones to guarantee those crying babies don’t disrupt my flight. My friend just used these Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones, Blackon her flight to Shanghai and SWEARS by them!
2. Pack a Pillow: people always laugh at me when I pull out my little inflatable pillow on planes…but I know its because they are secretly jealous of how comfortable I am while they attempt to use their jacket as a pillow. I love this Great Travel Pillow from Amazon
3. Be Prepared for Airport Security: Before you get to the front of the line have your shoes off, laptop out, and Ziploc bag of liquids in your hands. If you are ready to breeze through it makes the process go a lot faster. Check out these Flybags – TSA Compliant Toiletry Bagapproved for security! See if you can sign up for TSA Pre-Check…some airlines grant you this for being a frequent flyer.
4. Pack your own snacks: I am one of the world’s pickiest eaters, plus I am a nervous flyer so the last thing I need before a long flight is some greasy airport food. I am a big fan of packing my own snacks. My favorites are trail mix, granola bars, and always a little chocolate. I am a BIG fan of Trader Joe’s Omega Trek Mix with Fortified Cranberries (12 oz)
5. Bring an Empty Water Bottle: This goes along with the snacks…airport food/drinks are insanely expensive. If you bring an empty water bottle you can fill it up once you get through security. Many airports even have fancy fountains to fill your bottle at. I always bring my Nalgene Water Bottle
6. Carry on your Luggage: Okay, I know this isn’t always feasible…but if possible squeeze all your stuff into a carry on suitcase. I am a big overpacker, but when we travel as a family we MUST carry on our luggage (regardless of the length of the trip). This saves you a trip to baggage claim and the worry of wondering whether or not your luggage made it! If you must check luggage make sure you put something on the handle to help identify it. My mom always ties the BIGGEST, BRIGHTEST ribbon around it! I desperately want this Hardsided Pink Carry On
because it matches my big suitcase!
7. Be Brave and Ask for Upgrades: I am one of the shyest people ever, so talking to strangers is not my strong suit…let alone asking a stranger for something…but many times airlines will accommodate you if you just ask. The worst they can do is say no…warning I do know many airlines are becoming more and more stingy with their upgrade but again it doesn’t hurt to ask!
8. Pack a Scarf and Cozy Socks: Planes temperatures tend to fluctuate a lot during a flight…but generally I find myself freezing on planes. Pack these extras in your carry on to keep yourself warm! This scarf ( Tartan Scarf Wrap Shawl
) is so big it could double as a BLANKET! Jackpot!
9. Check the status of your flight before heading to the airport: Many airlines even have apps you can use to check your flight. I also recommend checking in at home before arriving to the airport!
10. Invest in a portable battery charger: Yes, airports have outlets but they are never near where you want to sit, or they are all being used. This tends to be the one time everyone is trying to give their electronics that little extra boost. If you have a portable battery charger you can simply plug your phone in from wherever you are sitting! Amazon has some really great options! My dad has one of the Anker® Portable Charger and he loves it!