So…as many of you know…I am currently entering year 2 of the life in the real world. Ever since I entered this new world, I have had a strange desire to throw a “dinner party,” complete with table settings and a several course meal. If you REALLY know me, you know chances of this ACTUALLY happening are very slim. I did attend a party this weekend that seemed much more manageable…a Wine Tasting/Swap Party. The concept behind it was genius…plus it didn’t hurt that I got to reunite with some of my favorite friends from high school.
So how does a Wine Swap/Tasting party work?
1. Invite your Guests! My friend used Facebook to get everyone invited.
2. Wrap a bottle of your favorite Wine to bring to the Swap.
No judging my horrible wrapping skills
3. Arrive on time ready to sample 10 different wines.
example worksheet you fill out while sampling
4. Put your wine tasting skills to the test, by trying to decipher which mystery bottle is a Pinot Noir or a Cabernet. (very difficult)
5. EAT our host had a wonderful spread of food (cheese, desserts, fruits, and veggies) plus some more wine.
an evening like this is always more fun with friends
6. Score your cards (this was super embarrassing…I only guessed one right!)
Chelsie hard at work scoring her card
7. Finally, pick a new bottle of wine!
Enjoying my new bottle of wine after a long day!
So my tips for making the night go smoothly! Get a Wine Tasting Party kit. My friends came with 10 bags, to ensure the mystery of each wine, worksheets for guest to fill out, and a cheat sheet to help those less wine savvy! Another tip? When tasting the wine…act like you know what you are talking about and everyone will buy it. I believe the words “This taste is oaky, yet smooth” came out of my mouth. Plus I was convinced every red wine I sampled was a Pinot Noir.